The student news site of Northmont High School

The Thunder

The Thunder

The Thunder

Thank you Sponsors!
M-POWER GYM
Search this site:

First Nitrogen Gas Execution

Kenneth Smith was the First Person to be Executed by Nitrogen Gas Taking Place on January 25 in Alabama.
Photo from CNN

Kenneth Smith was sentenced to the death penalty for his role in a 1998 muder-for-hire. The first attempt to carry out his death penalty by lethal injection in 2022 was a failure. Attorneys fought the sentence all the way to the end ultimately losing January 25th. On January 25th his sentence was carried through by a nitrogen gas execution. He was the first to ever be executed by nitrogen gas. Now arguments surround whether this was the right move or not.

The execution process for Smith began at 7:53 p.m. He was laid on a gurney and put in restraints. A tight fitting mask was put over his entire face where nitrogen flowed for 15 minutes. He was officially pronounced dead at 8:25 p.m. 

According to Elizabeth Wolfe, Dakin Andone, Holly Yan and Caitlin Danaher at CNN, “Smith, who was on a gurney, appeared conscious for “several minutes into the execution,” and “shook and writhed” for about two minutes after that, media witnesses said in a joint report. That was followed by several minutes of deep breathing before his breath began slowing “until it was no longer perceptible for media witnesses,” the media witnesses said” (January 26).

It is unclear exactly how long it took for Smith to die that night.

Before the execution started Smith made a lengthy statement in front of witnesses including his family.

According to Elizabeth Wolfe, Dakin Andone, Holly Yan and Caitlin Danaher at CNN, “ ‘Tonight, Alabama caused humanity to take a step backward, Smith said in part, according to the reporters. I’m leaving with love, peace and light. Thank you for supporting me. Love all of you.’ Smith ‘made a ‘I love you’ sign in sign language with one of his hands that was facing the room where his family was witnessing,’ the journalists’ joint report said (January 26).

Photo from CNN

Smith’s family spoke at a conference after the execution took place stating the execution was “bittersweet” and was a final act of justice for a woman killed more than three decades ago. 

43 other inmates have requested the new execution method. The nitrogen gas execution will remain a controversial form of capital punishment.