The student news site of Northmont High School

The Thunder

The Thunder

The Thunder

Thank you Sponsors!
THE PLAY CAFE
Search this site:

Ravens TE Mark Andrews Saves Woman on a Plane

Andrews Offers his Diabetes Testing Kit
Taken from Baltimore Ravens website

On February 1st, 2024, Baltimore Ravens TE Mark Andrews helped save a woman having a severe medical emergency. After nurses and doctors on the plane couldn’t find her pulse, Andrews popped out and asked if it could be her blood sugar. After that he kindly offered his diabetes testing kit which revealed that he was right. The flight attendants gave her some snacks and she survived and recovered. 

Andrew Springs, a passenger on the plane who sat in the row behind the woman, told Brammhi Balarajan from CNN, his experience on the plane, saying that, “It was not like one of those situations where there’s a disturbance on the plane, and everyone goes back to their iPad” (Thu February 1, 2024).  In the same article, he goes on to explain that, “It was tense to the point where Southwest Airlines attendants were really working to keep everybody calm.”

Mark Andrews warming up before an AFC Championship NFL football game between the Baltimore Ravens and the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday, January 28, 2024, in Baltimore (Taken From WBTV).

According to the TMX staff in a WBTV article, “Andrews has Type 1 diabetes, according to the Ravens, and had a health scare of his own during his freshman year at the University of Oklahoma” (Monday February 5, 2024). In that same article they say, “A roommate found him unresponsive due to hypoglycemia, caused by very low blood sugar, and helped save his life by shoving fruit snacks in his mouth before paramedics arrived,” the team shared. The team said Andrews is “vigilant” about his condition and wears a blood sugar monitor during games, checking it between every offensive series.

In an ESPN article, Jamison Hensley said that, “Southwest Airlines declined to disclose names or specific details but confirmed that medical personnel met the flight once it arrived in Phoenix”(Thursday February 1, 2024).